Thursday, July 5, 2007

My Big Premiere

So, here I am. Posting my thoughts for all to see, completely unsolicited. All I can say is it sounded like a good idea at the time. If you've stumbled across this blog...stick around. I could use the company. If I said I'd pay you to be here...the check's in the mail. I promise.

You may be wondering about the name of this blog. I wanted something that would give a nod to the South...my home and heritage. Actually, it's a direct quote from my great-grandma...her answer to nearly everything we ever said to her. A good 'ole Southern sayin'. Actually, as a kid, there were a lot of sayings that I didn't understand and this was one of them. Not because of the actual words, but because of the dialect. You see, this phrase was spoken with the words all sort of melting into one another. Kind of like the French do it, but not quite as elegant in the delivery. In fact, if I type it like it sounded, it looks more like "WelllllIdeeeclah." Most people just don't understand what an accomplishment it was for me to be 7th grade spelling bee champion. I spent the better part of elementary school trying to figure out not just how to spell what my family was saying...but where the heck they came up with those words!

I'll give you one more for good measure. Drekly. That's how everybody in my family said it. Even me. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was around 8 years old and was riding in the backseat of my parents' car when my mom said this to my dad. I had an epiphany! Like divine intervention, it struck me. D-I-R-E-C-T-L-Y! Wow. I cracked the code! I sat in that backseat with a huge goofy grin on my face. Surely, I was a genius.

For those of you who are wondering, I grew up in the lush, green hills of southeastern Kentucky. My family may not always use proper English, but they are some of the best people you'd ever want to meet. I'm proud to say I'm one of them.

That's it for now. Stop in again if you get the notion. I'm sure I'll have something to say....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogosphere. I'm sure you'll do just fine!