Thursday, August 16, 2007

Send in the Clown

Before I get into this....it was 106 degrees here today! And still 100 degrees at 9pm. This is beyond ridiculous. Our county fair started today...and one person has already died out there from the heat. Why they want to have a county fair in August is beyond me, anyhow, but this year? I think it's safe to say I'm not going! Somebody send some rain....please!!

So, I went to pick up my son at school. He always is so excited when I walk in and comes running screeching "Mommy!" I love hearing that. It's so much fun to hear him talking with his sweet little boy voice. His vocabulary seems to grow by leaps and bounds every day.

Today, I heard the words that I've been dreading. After I hugged him, Brock looks up at me and says, "I want McDonald's." I was just astounded. Where did that come from? It didn't come from me or his dad. Because we've got this thing about not giving him fast food. And my husband hates McDonald's. Refuses to eat there. I love their fries. They gave me my first job. I have to say that either fast food isn't as good as it used to be, or my tastes have changed. Because I remember all of it tasting much better than it does now.

So how is it that a kid that isn't accustomed to eating at the golden arches could ask to go there? I have a theory. This kid loves tv. And McDonald's does a lot of advertising. With music...which he also loves. And they've had happy meal day a couple of times at his school, which he participated in. I think he's the only kid in the world that doesn't like chicken nuggets. But he loves fries of all kinds. His school is close to Burger King, so I hit their drive-thru and got him a kid's meal. He devoured all the fries, and then nibbled at the cheeseburger, eating mostly cheese and bread. I dealt with the guilt of being a bad mom for caving in to him, depriving him of a really nutritious meal. One of those things that we'll keep just between us, and not tell his dad.

Yes, I'm a sucker when it comes to my son, and he's a momma's boy. And if a clown with big red hair gets his attention, then it's alright with me.

No comments: